Catechism Year 2023-2024
General Information and Requirements
St. Nicholas Tavelich Parish seeks to form our children and youth in the faith handed on to us through the Scriptures and Tradition. The Catechism of the Catholic Church serves as a basis for the catechesis as our children and youth prepare to receive and celebrate the Sacraments of Reconciliation (Confession), Eucharist (First Communion), and Confirmation.
The catechetical program at St. Nicholas Tavelich Parish is offered from mid-September to the end of May. Classes meet on Sunday mornings in the church hall and begin at 9:45 am. The first class will be held on September 17th.
Classes will depend on the number of children registered and their ages.
First Communion and First Reconciliation will be offered to children:
- who are 8 years of age at the time of registration or are entering grade 3 at the time of registration, and
- who have completed the required preparation – weekly catechism class attendance and the weekly Sunday Eucharist (Mass) – and
- possess adequate knowledge of faith, and
- have completed two consecutive years of catechism program (this includes the 2023/24 year).
There will be a meeting in March 2024 with the catechism coordinator and the pastor to decide the child’s readiness to receive these two sacraments.
The Sacrament of Confirmation will be offered to young men and women:
- who are at least 13 years of age at the time of registration and have completed two consecutive years of catechism program (this includes the 2023/24 year), and
- who have completed the required preparation – weekly catechism class attendance and weekly Sunday Eucharist (Mass) – and
- possess adequate knowledge of faith.
The registration is limited to registered and contributing parishioners only. Contributing parishioners are understood to be those who, first and foremost, attend Sunday Mass on a weekly basis. Of course, it is understood that illness, work schedules, sick children, etc., may sometimes prevent a person from attending Mass. However, excluding oneself from Sunday Mass attendance should not be the norm. One does NOT fulfill the Sunday obligation by viewing the Mass online. This provision was cancelled by the Archbishop on February 28, 2022.
A contributing parishioner also, so much as is feasible, gives of their time and talent in a ministry: usher, reader, catechist, upkeep of the church grounds, helping with decorating, hospitality, etc. A contributing parishioner also financially supports their parish and doesn’t leave it to others. This is one of the Five Precepts of the Church, as is Sunday Mass attendance, which is also one of the Ten Commandments. One must be a registered, contributing parishioner for at least one year prior to registration.
If there are any questions or if anything is unclear, parents are asked to please contact our catechism coordinator, Charlotte Brnjas.
The registration deadline is Sunday, August 6, 2023.
If you are ready to commit to the above-mentioned requirements, please complete the registration form and hand it in person during one of our catechism registration nights:
- July 5, 2023, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm, in the Church Narthex, or
- July 13, 2023, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm, in the Church Narthex
If you have any questions and/or comments regarding the catechism classes this year, please contact our Catechism Coordinator Charlotte Brnjas by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 204-990-9769.
There will be a fee associated with the classes to cover the cost of textbooks and supplies used during the year. Payment can be made in person at the parish office or by cash/cheque. Please make cheques payable to St. Nicholas Tavelich Church.
|Times:||Sundays, 9:45 -10:45 am, starting September 17, 2023|
|When:||September 17 to May 26|
|Ages:||6-14 years old|
|Where:||St. Nicholas Tavelich Parish|
Any updates to the catechism program will be posted on our website or in the parish bulletin. Please check back soon.